Can consent from a patient be generic and enduring? If I have to seek repeat consent from patients won that be onerous?

0

0

Consent can be generic and enduring. The Human Tissue Act sets the baseline, saying simply that for storage and use of tissue for Scheduled Purposes to be lawful, consent must be obtained from the appropriate person. The scope of that consent is not limited by the Human Tissue Act. Consent can be whatever is agreed in different circumstances, and guidance for obtaining consent is provided in the HTA’s Codes of Practice and other guidance. Anticipating and explaining the purpose for which tissue could be used will avoid the need for seeking repeated consents – for example for research after the patient has had surgery.