Can I use the value of my pension, determined as if I had terminated from the pension plan, for the purposes of determining the value of the pension for marriage breakdown?

0

0

The quick answer is, not likely. The Canadian Institute of Actuaries has different standards governing the calculation of a commuted value and the calculation of a capitalized value of a pension for matrimonial pension division purposes. The Standard of Practice for determining pension commuted values is in Section 3800 and is to be used when a registered pension plan member elects to receive a lump sum settlement from the plan in lieu of an immediate or deferred lifetime pension. The Standard of Practice for the capitalized value of pension plan benefits for a marriage breakdown is in Section 4300 and is to be used when the parties settle the division of a pension as family assets on marriage breakdown. It usually involves the member spouse paying a lump sum equalization payment to the non-member spouse either on a before-tax basis (e.g., RRSP funds) or on an after-tax basis (e.g., equity in the principal residence) to compensate the non-member spouse so the member spouse can retain m