Can water conduct electricity?

0
Posted seb345 edited answer

Can water conduct electricity?

0
seb345 seb345 edited answer

I had this dilemma a while ago. Which type of water conduct electricity, pure or normal? I had a school project about it, and my mom said to ask an electrician. And because she called an electrician to check some of the outlets and wiring in the house, I had the chance to ask him. As many of you said here, he said that pure water is less likely to conduct electricity than regular water, for example, the one we drink every day because it has many different minerals in it which help it conduct the electricity better.

0

pure water is non conductive , but any contamination eg mineral water , trace of chlorine etc any ion will make water conductive.Salt water is a good conductor.

0

Very pure water is, or was, used in production of microchips because of its very low conductivity.(ie an insulator).Ordinary water including the purest rainwater DOES conduct electricity through presence of ions.

0

*Pure* water can’t conduct electricity. But naturally-occurring water is full of minerals and salts and other natural impurities which do conduct electricity, so ‘natural’ water does conduct electricity.