Does an employer have to reverify the employment eligibility of a worker whose permanent resident card has expired?

Add your answer...

1 Answer

A - According to an INS NOTICE TO EMPLOYERS (Form M-324 - Rev.10-26-89), the answer is NO. It states: "On August 1, 1989, INS began issuing a revised Resident Alien Card, Form I-551, to new permanent resident aliens. . . . The I-551 is a List A document . . . because it establishes both identity and employment eligibility. The card will also contain an expiration date, making the card valid for 10-years from the date of issuance; the applicant will then be required to obtain a new card. However, because employment authorization is unlimited for I-551 holders, there will be no need to update the I-9. more
Thanks for your feedback!

Related Videos

Not the answer you're looking for? Try asking your own question.