Does my dog really need to be tested every year for Heartworm disease since he is on year-round preventative medication?

0
Asked

0

15. Yes, we still recommend annual heartworm testing. Heartworm is a very serious disease with life threatening consequences. We follow the guidelines of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Animal Hospital Association and The American Heartworm Society with our testing and preventative guidelines. If you pet is on monthly preventative medication throughout the year, then we can test at any time of the year, generally at the time of the annual physical exam.

0
Sasha Sayuri Powers

depends on who you speak to and the overall health of your dog. Most southern vet offices will tell you yes unless they are a holistic vet. Holistic vets go for a more natural approach that states if the over all health of an animal is good the chances of him/her getting heartworm is very unlikely. This mean it has a good diet (mainly not kibble  fed) good excercise and no other health conditions. Some states who do not have issues with mosquitoes have no need for heartworm testing.