How do I label muscle cuts of meat from animals raised in “Country X” but imported for immediate slaughter in the U.S.?

0

0

A. Meat from animals imported for immediate slaughter in the U.S. shall be designated as “Product of Country X and the U.S.” Q. Can a packer or intermediary supplier that processes whole muscle meat products derived from both mixed origin animals (e.g., Product of U.S., Canada and Mexico) and U.S. origin animals commingle and label these products with a mixed origin label? A. If meat covered commodities derived from U.S. and mixed origin animals are commingled during a production day, the resulting product may carry the mixed origin claim (e.g., “Product of U.S., Canada, and Mexico”). Thus, it is not permissible to label meat derived from livestock of U.S. origin with a mixed origin label if solely U.S. origin meat was produced during the production day. Q.