How do parents or individuals other than students request a copy of the student account billing statement and access the student account online?


For parents or other individuals to view the student account online, they must be set up by the student as an authorized payer. Parents and other third parties making payments cannot set themselves up as authorized payers. Students must set up authorized payers through Point Web. For parents or other individuals to call the office on behalf of the student and receive information, a Release of Information Request must be on file. For students to complete this form, they must add the name(s) of who will have access to the student account. For information on these topics or if you have questions, please contact the Office of Student Accounts by email at or by phone, 412-392-3424.