How Do You Treat A Cat That Has Swallowed Thread, String, Or Yarn?

Add your answer...

1 Answer

Cats that play with thread, string, or yarn are bound to swallow some sooner or later. A long piece of thread, string, or yarn, if swallowed, can cause a blockage of the cat's intestinal tract with subsequent perforation. This needs immediate surgical intervention. Veterinarians often find cats have swallowed thread with a needle attached. Sometimes the needle ends up in the stomach and must be removed surgically. At other times, the needle gets caught in the throat or roof of the mouth. This will be evidenced by the cat choking and pawing at its mouth. Some of the signs to watch for are thread, string, or yarn hanging out of the mouth or rectum; vomiting combined with history of playing with thread, string, or yarn; and loss of appetite with those signs. If your cat has swallowed thread, string, or yarn, use the following cat care tips: Step more
Thanks for your feedback!

Related Videos

Not the answer you're looking for? Try asking your own question.

Related Experts

Sally Cathy
Cats expert
Dana Grove
Cats expert
Susan Lee
Cats expert