How does carbon monoxide enter the body?
Carbon monoxide is released into the air we breathe and can reach dangerously high levels. When it is inhaled, it enters the bloodstream and attaches to a blood cell protein called hemoglobin. Hemoglobin carries oxygen from the lungs to where it is needed. When carbon monoxide attaches to the blood cells, they are unable to carry oxygen to the rest of the body. What are the possible effects of carbon monoxide poisoning? Carbon monoxide in your body can be deadly. This can happen when the gas is absorbed over a short time in a closed setting, such as a garage or automobile. It can also be fatal if small amounts of carbon monoxide are inhaled over a long time, which can cause permanent organ and brain damage, particularly in children, the elderly and persons with heart disease. What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? Symptoms of possible carbon monoxide poisoning can include: • fatigue • nausea and vomiting • shortness of breath • headache, confusion • dizziness • chest pain,