How does planting tropical hardwood trees compare with leaving my money in a savings account or CDs to accumulate interest for 25 years?

0

It is difficult to predict what future interest rates on savings accounts and CD’s will be. However, as an example, if you were to put $16,000, the price of 500 teak trees, into savings or CD’s today at 4% compound interest and allowed the interest to accumulate for 25 years, you would have a total of $42,653 at the end of the 25 years. This amounts to total increase of 266% on your invested capital. This compares to the approximately $443,312 projected cumulative net harvest proceeds over the next 25 years from planting 500 teak trees. This amounts to a compound rate of return of approximately 14.21% per year and a total 2700% increase in your invested capital.