How does the labor and stress of farm life compare to that of the writing life?

0

0

Some of the long days we described in the book were extraordinary, rather than routine: Obviously, harvesting animals is a once-in-a-lifetime event (for them, at least), and canning tomatoes in August is kind of the gardener’s World Series. But in the day-to-day, farm work is stress relief for me. At the end of the day, I love having this other career — my anti-job — that keeps me in shape and gives me control over a vegetal domain. Sometimes I see people at the gym bench-pressing until they turn purple, or running five miles in the rain after work, and I think to myself, “Who could push themselves that hard? Not me!” And yet, walking to the garden with a hoe feels like a tryst with a lover. I adore working up a sweat on a sunny day among the sweet potatoes. I love having used every muscle I own, making food for my family. That process is deeply compelling, probably coded into our DNA. I never thought I’d get a laugh out of a botanical description of asparagus, but thanks to you, I d