How does the Section 8 program determine how many bedrooms my family qualifies for?

1

2

The bedroom size you are issued is based on the number of family members and family composition. The Occupancy Standards provide for a minimum commitment of subsidy while avoiding overcrowding. For example, a one bedroom unit would be issued to (1) a single individual, (2) a single parent with one child under 3 years of age, (3) a couple with no children, (4) a pregnant woman with no other children; a two bedroom unit would be be issued to (1) a couple with one or two children (depending upon the age and sex of the children), (2) a single individual with a live-in aide, (3) a single parent with one child three years of age or older, (4) a couple with no children who require separate sleeping accommodations; (5) adults of different generations; a three bedroom unit would be issued to a couple with two, three or four children (depending upon the age and sex of the children).