I have a CD-R drive. Can I make a bootable CD-ROM from which I can install the latest version of Minix ?

0

0

I have made a few attempts in that direction, but I don’t know how to boot Minix from a CD-ROM. I made a boot image that will start the Minix boot monitor from a CD, but I haven’t figured out how to make the monitor start Minix. Note added 23 Nov 2003: See new page on CD-based Minix distribution — the bootable CD problem has been solved. If you are willing to use one floppy disk, here’s a way. Look at URL http://minix1.hampshire.edu/pub/demos-2.0/bigRAM203/m203b8r01.txt It describes a floppy image you can download from my site that fits on a single floppy and boots into an 8M RAM disk. This was my first attempt at the boot image for a bootable Minix CD. The selection of files on this image is a little different from the standard root.mnx + usr.mnx images — I left out some things from the standard bootup images and included everything you need to read a CD-ROM. From the Minix installation on the RAM disk you can make a hard disk partition, and copy all the big archives from the CD-ROM