I paid pension contributions (Rentenversicherung) in Germany – can I get that money back?

Add your answer...

2 Answers

If you're a resident of a non-EU country and have worked in Germany, you may have paid into a pension fund and we can get that tax back for you. Our average German pension insurance refund is €1520! Pension Insurance Contributions (Rentenversicherung) are usually about 9.75% of your salary so it's worth checking out if we can get that back for you. To get a refund, you must be a non-EU citizen. The other requirements are that you paid pension insurance for less than five years in Germany and you've been out of the country for more than two years. We can apply for unclaimed pension refunds as far back as 15 years and to do it we'll need your payslips for all the years you worked in Germany. Download the German Pension Refund Pack today or register online. more
Thanks for your feedback!

Related Videos


The answer above is misleading. Just because you are non-EU citizen and non EU-resident doesn't mean you will get a refund for sure. For example if you are citizen of Iceland and living in Iceland, you cannot apply for refund of your pension contributions before you reach the retirement age.

On the other side, if you are citizen of (for example) Thailand, you can apply for refund even if you paid pension insurance for more than 5 years if you live outside of EU.

The question whether you can get a refund depends on: your nationality, where you are currently staying and how long you paid for the German pension fund.

If you want to know if you have the possibilty to get a refund, visit my website:


and klick on refund of pension insurance contributions. You will find there a pdf-file, which you can download for free and which covers all possibilities. 

In order to apply for a refund, fill the form V901 (in German/English language!). You can find this form at www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de or a link to this form is also available at my website. For a first attempt, I would not recommend using a consulting agency. Try it by your own and safe money.

I hope my answer is helpful.

Not the answer you're looking for? Try asking your own question.