Is chlorine dioxide dangerous?
Chlorine dioxide is a known chemical that has been safely used for more than 70 years, including regular use at more than 900 water treatment facilities around the nation. The science behind this gas is well documented, and it is the only proven technology available for killing anthrax spores in a large building such as the Trenton P&DC. In solid state, it can be a very volatile agent at high temperatures; however, it will never be in this state at Trenton. It will be delivered in the form of five separate chemicals that will be mixed on-site before use. After the decontamination, the gas will be neutralized and removed. At that point, the only byproducts will be harmless substances we are all familiar with – water, salt water and oxygen. The gas is not flammable and it is not explosive in the concentrations that will be used at the Trenton facility. What does chlorine dioxide smell like, and what type of warning signs or symptoms should I be on the lookout for, in case I’m exposed to