0
Q:

Is there a statue of limitations on civil rights violations?

0
The federal courts usually defer to the respective state's own statute of limitations for civil claims but there are always exigent circumstances such as exhaustion of other attempted remedies. more
answerbag.com

0
Just kidding; it's not that simple; technically a 1983 claim doesn't have a statute of limitations per se, but 42 USC 1988(a) requires federal courts to borrow a state's limitation period. So every state is different. When the cause of action accrues (basically begins to run) is a question of federal law. Oversimplifying a cause of action accrues when the plaintiff knows or has reason to know of the injury that is the basis of his or her claim. So in a wrongful termination case, the cause of action accrues when the plaintiff is notified that he is being canned; not the effective date of the termination. I don't know what you're legal background is, if any, but many attorneys get themselves in trouble be delving into this arena--be careful and good luck. more
answerbag.com
0
Absolutely there are statute of limitations on civil rights claims. There is also a requirement that makes you file a claim with the State (sometimes w/i 6 months time period. The Federal 1983 statutes of limitation depend upon the state statute of limitation. So, if Juan wants to sue the police department for a 1983 action in court, Juan has 2 years from the date of the incident to file that federal claim (the 2 years came from California's 2 yr SOL for personal injuries. If you have a case, I would talk to an attorney in your area asap. The Govt Tort Act is tricky in California. If you're in Cal, you can email me and I might be able to get you started. more
answerbag.com
0
I hope so as the meaning of a civil rights violation is not consistent from decade to decade. more
answerbag.com

...