My buddy just bought a brand-new Saturn, and Ive got a high-mileage three-year-old Lexus. How come Im paying so much more than he is to register my ride?

0

0

Think sticker shock. Under current Michigan law, that Lexus―when you bought it―was worth a lot more than the Saturn, based on the original manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP). Your registration fees have been dropping a bit each year since, but it’s still (in the eyes of the Secretary of State) worth more than a new Saturn. For older vehicles (pre-1984), the weight of the vehicle determines the fee. To help you figure out what you’ll pay for a particular vehicle, call the Record Information Unit at (517) 322-1460 or visit a Secretary of State branch office.