0
Q:

My dog coughs (or sounds like trying to clear throat) a lot, especially when she is excited like when we come back home after being out. What causes this?

0
• When my dog gets over excited he begins to cough and breath hard (his cough is like a hack). I know that he has allergies and cant be around incense but this is a different cough than that. Kennel cough, also known as Canine Upper Respiratory Infection Complex (C-URI) and Canine Infectious Tracheobronchitis, is a very contagious respiratory disease of dogs that may last for several days to several weeks. It is characterized by bouts of coughing. A number of microorganisms have been isolated from the dogs with upper respiratory disease, including viruses and bacteria. Dogs with mild signs do not require treatment. However, a warm, draft-free environment should be provided. Vigorous exercise, collar-induced pressure on the trachea (windpipe), and excitement should be avoided as these can induce coughing. If a dry, persistent, hacking cough is present, cough suppressants can be prescribed. Antibiotic therapy is recommended if bacterial involvement is suspected. We recommend you ... more
pedigree.com

Related Experts

Amy Turman
Dog expert
16
...