My mother and grandmother both suffered from severe osteoporosis. I don’t have any menopausal symptoms but should I be taking HRT to protect my bones?

0

0

Although we know that HRT protects against postmenopausal osteoporosis and fractures, it is not recommended as a first-line treatment. If you have no signs of osteoporosis (eg pain, fractures), you may need to have a bone scan to assess whether or not you are at risk. If the scan shows that your bones are becoming thinner, there are several effective, non-hormonal osteoporosis treatments which your doctor will want to try first. If you are unable to take these other treatments but have a high risk of osteoporotic fractures, HRT may be considered.