Nuchal translucency (NT) ultrasound – should I take it?

0
Posted

Nuchal translucency (NT) ultrasound – should I take it?

0

The nuchal translucency test is 80% accurate…which means it’s inaccurate 20% of the time. Combined with the blood tests you’ll take in a few weeks, your test becomes 90% accurate (meaning if your NT scan AND blood test came back positive for Down’s syndrome, there’s a 90% chance your baby has DS…and a 10% chance that it does not). Honestly, I skipped the NT scan. I am 29, my husband is 28…I felt that we were at a very low risk for Down’s syndrome. My OB cleared it up for me when she asked me, “If it came back positive for Down’s, would you do anything to terminate the pregnancy?” and I said no. I’ll rely on my blood tests and go with it…20% is a BIG “if” factor” and honestly, I wanted to enjoy my pregnancy and not freak out all the time. My sister had this test done, and it came back as positive for Down’s syndrome…and she sweated for months…and her baby was fine.

Related Questions