0
Q:

Should I tip if there's a delivery charge?

1 2
0
Yes, you should tip. But in the case of a place that is charging $5 delivery on $15 of food, you should look for a different place to order food from, or go pick it up yourself. I used to use a food delivery service here in LA, until recently I got fed up with their constant charge hikes and extra charges (gas charge, oh PLEASE). Finally they screwed up my order and were crap about fixing it - so that was it for them. I totally understand what you are saying about feeling ripped off, but don't punish the driver for the restaurant's ripoff policies. Look around for other restaurants that offer free delivery, and tip the driver well. If you are a repeat customer they soon learn which customers tip well and which do not, and the good tippers often get faster delivery. more

0
I don't. I even look to SEE if there's a delivery charge when deciding on the tip. ("Oh you already have the tip in there, great...") I figure maybe the point trickles back up to the top that way. (Note: I am usually a pretty liberal tipper. I hate when it's tucked in there for me. Baaa. more
0
If delivery drivers are getting stiffed by not getting the delivery charge, they should quit their jobs. I have never tipped when there is a non-trivial delivery charge (which I define as greater than $1) nor do I ever plan on. The restaurant very well could be using that for profit, but that's their business, not mine. more
0
Don't count on the delivery guy getting a cut of that delivery charge! I think the most pissed I ever got at a customer was this summer when a customer tipped me two cents for making her $45 worth of assorted smoothies, lattes, and cappucinos. NEVER piss off someone who is handling something you're going to put in your mouth. more
0
Yes- tip please. When I delivered pizzas for Round Table Pizza I never saw any of that "delivery charge" they stuck the customer with. more
0
Any charges such as that aren't something that gets kicked down to the delivery person. Those dropping of the food, just as in a restaurant are totally muling it around for you, unless you give them something. 15% of pretax total is generally considered the 'average' tip. Plus factor in the vehicle wear and tear, insurance, gas, etc. In a delivery instance, if you don't tip them they may actually 'lose' money in the end. Same goes for a lot of servers/bartenders. We have to tip other people out, generally, at the end of our shifts: managers, kitchen staff, food runners, bussers, dishwashers. If you don't tip, you cost the person helping you money. So don't be a dickhead. more
0
As a delivery driver for Pizza Hut: - Currently we have a $2.50 delivery charge. It's gone up from $1.50 last January. - Back when it was $1.50, we got $0.91. It jumped to $2 and our cut went to $0.96; when it jumped to $2.50 we started getting $1.01, but now that gas prices are going down we only get $0.96 of the $2.50. - That cut goes directly into my gas tank, and the company specifically does the math so our cut is (average gas price)x(average delivery distance)/(average mpg). They keep the rest to cover their rising cost of doing business, or at least that's what we're told. - Once delivery got expensive enough that the math started not making sense to people (I don't recall anyone noticing when their order was $1.50 more, but a lot of people notice the extra $2.50), we started getting stiffed a lot more. People started getting indignant about being charged extra, and they assume we get all of it. - We complain about it, but the recent drop in compensation without decreasing the ... more
0
Most of the pizza places here in Eugene charge $3 or so for devliery, and when I asked the driver how much of that they got, they said none, that it all went to paying insurance for the company, and that still didn't cover the insurance costs. more
0
I would base my tip off the food amount pre-tax and pre-fee. I also refuse to order from places with delivery charges. And 20% is too high anyway. Did he check on you during the meal, make sure everything was as you expected, replace anything that was defective, keep your water filled, and offer dessert? No? Then 20% is too high. We quit ordering from Pizzahut because they raised their food prices (acceptable since raw ingredient prices are up). And while I know gas prices are up as well, I'm just unwilling to take their hit twice. I'll still eat there, just not delivered. more
0
The delivery fee goes to the restaurant, not to the person who brings you the food. So yes, tip. more
1 2

...