Tax Deduction for Sending Money to a Prisoner?

Add your answer...

1 Answer

Reader-submitted question: Can I take a tax deduction for the money I send to my son in prison and money I spend on clothing? Dear Reader, You cannot take a tax deduction for money sent to your son in prison -- or sent to anyone else, for that matter. Money, food, clothing, toys, and other items sent to a person is considered a gift, and gifts are not tax deductible. (The only exception to this is when you give money or other items to a qualified charity. Charitable donations can be included as an itemized deduction on Form 1040 Schedule A.) The short answer to your question is No. However, if your son lived with you for more than half the year and if your son did not provide more than half of his own financial support, then you may be eligible to claim your son as a <a href="http://taxes.about.com/od/dependents/a/Depe more
Thanks for your feedback!

Related Videos

Not the answer you're looking for? Try asking your own question.

Related Experts

Tom Wagner
Money expert
Gideon K
Money expert