What caused the agitation which forms the elements in the midst of consciousness-energy?

0

0

In the Yoga Vasistha you find this question along with a rather interesting answer: Where are the seeds that bring about you as you, me as me, the dog as the dog, the tree as the tree? There are two causes. One is prana-spandana, movement of energy. The other is vasana, a mysterious self-limiting concept. What is the meaning of this innocent little verse? Even to merely suggest a meaning, I suppose you will have to imagine the universe as filled with an infinite number of root elements or cells (cell/soul… notice the similarity of the words) and each one of these cells being identical with the cosmic being, each one is also pervaded with consciousness-energy. Now imagine that each one of these particles, in which there is both energy and consciousness, thinks, “I am a particle of sand,” and so becomes a particle of sand. The consciousness, as it were, thinks “I am a man,” and it becomes a man. The particle thinks “I am a woman,” and it becomes a woman. How could this cell do that? It