What Do I Do If My Drinking Water Exceeds An MCL Or Secondary Maximum Contaminant Level (SMCL) ?

0

0

If an MCL Is Exceeded, Consult Your Health Department. MCLs are health-based standards and you may be assuming additional risk if you continue to drink the water. Young children and infants are particularly susceptible. SMCLs are aesthetic standards. Always Retest To Ensure You Have A Problem. РIt is always good practice to have your water retested to ensure accuracy in sampling and in the laboratory. The second test should be done by a different laboratory to confirm results. Consult With A Water-Quality Expert And/Or Your Local Health Department. РWhen you are certain you have a particular contamination problem, consult with a water-quality expert. These individuals may be familiar with the preferred treatment methods in your area. Recent and historical water data should be reviewed by an expert to determine which processes are appro­priate. The local health official or DEP may also be consulted if uncertain­ties arise.