What is a CES Euro Profile Lock Cylinder?

Add your answer...

1 Answer

by Stephan Miller If all you've been exposed to are standard American entrance locks, chances are you don't know what this is referring to. Well, it seems that there are more than one way to build a lock. First, let's define a cylinder. The lock cylinder is not the whole lock. It is only the part of your lock mechanism that the key is inserted into. Most locks have removable and rekeyable cylinders. This allows you to change the key that works with the lock without going out and buying a new lock. A Euro, CES or profile cylinder (CES is a brand of cylinders used by Hoppe, a very common brand) is shaped like an enlarged key hole. It is put through the lock case after it has been mortised into the edge of a door. These Euro cylinders come as double cylinders, which are keyed on both sides, single cylinders which are keyed on one side and dummy cylinders, which have no key and a thumbturn on one side. The size of profile cylinder you need is determined by the thickness of the door and ...
This link is broken. Help us!
Thanks for your feedback!

Related Videos

Not the answer you're looking for? Try asking your own question.