What is the best way to clean Suede Boots?
- Firstly, use a suede brush to get rid of any surface dirt from your boots or shoes. This will simply help get the suede cleaner before more intensive treatments. Be sure to brush with the grain of the fabric, rather than against.
- If your boots are quite scuffed at the edges, again, use the suede brush, but use a vigorous back-and-forth movement to remove any loose fibres. Try to stay as close to the scuffed area as possible, instead of scrubbing at undamaged suede.
- Stubborn stains do need to be treated with water – but since spot cleaning can create water marks, clean the entire boot, so that any discolouration isn’t noticeable.
- Use the suede brush to apply a small amount of water to the whole shoe, scrubbing at the stained area. Insert a shoe tree, or some rolled up paper to keep the shape of the boot, and allow it to dry naturally. Don’t use newspaper, as the ink could transfer to the fabric.
- If your boots have been left with salt marks from water, use a small amount of white vinegar as suede cleaner. The smell of the vinegar might be quite prominent the first few times you wear the boots, but it will fade over time.
Hope this helps. 🙂
- Rub the surface of the garment with a clean bath towel. This brings up the nap.
- Try to remove small, dry stains through the judicious use of a cleanpencil eraser. Small stains that are still wet should be blotted up by putting a paper towel on it and a weight on top of the towel. For either kind of stain, avoid using a chemical stain remover.
- Stains may also be rubbed off with a damp towel and some white vinegar. Allow the leather to dry before assessing your success. After drying, the garment will reek of vinegar for a while – but it will eventually fade.
- If there are lumps of dirt or dry scuff marks that won’t come off this way, try rasping them off with a fingernail file. Be gentle.
- Your last step (if cleaning suede shoes) is to brush the shoe gently with a wire suede brush.
- Body oil stains on clothing and suede furniture can be attacked with a degreaser leather cleaner made especially for suede.