What is the difference between a "Chauffeur License" and a Commercial Driver License (CDL)?

Add your answer...

1 Answer

Guidance: Without being too technical, the "Chauffeur License" is a driver's license just as an "operator's license" is a driver's license. The State of Michigan requires its residents to obtain a "Chauffeur License" if they are employed for the principal purpose of operating a commercial motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more. The CDL (although it is called a license) is really a privilege required and granted by the state to operate a larger sized commercial motor vehicle. Upon meeting the testing requirements for a CDL, a Michigan resident will have a CDL vehicle designator (A, B or C), representative of the type of vehicle he/she is permitted to operate, added to his/her "Chauffeur License." In some cases, the CDL privilege can be added to an operator's license. The key point is that a resident of Michigan cannot merely apply for a CDL. There must be an existing driver's license (chauffeur or operator) for the CDL privilege to be added.
This link is broken. Help us!
Thanks for your feedback!

Related Videos

Not the answer you're looking for? Try asking your own question.