What is the history of Three Oaks, Michigan?
The village of Three Oaks is located in the southwest corner of Michigan, just miles from the shores of Lake Michigan and the Indiana border. The village was first settled by Henry Chamberlain in 1850. Mr. Chamberlain gave the small community its name in reference to three oak trees growing in a cluster within the village. Three Oak’s hometown pride is evident during its Flag Day Celebration in June. The celebration and Flag Day Parade is the largest in the country. Three Oaks celebrated the centennial of receiving the Dewey Cannon at the village’s Flag Day Festival (June 9 – 11, 2000). This cannon, captured in the Spanish-American War by Admiral Dewey, was presented to Three Oaks when its citizens raised $1,400 for a memorial to the men of the battleship Maine. This was the largest contribution, per capita, of any community in the nation. “Three Oaks Against the World”, a local paper proudly boasted. This park was dedicated October 17, 1899, by President William McKinley and others. P