What is the history of Torrington, Connecticut?
Torrington was first settled in 1735 by Ebenezer Lyman Jr. of Durham, Connecticut. Its early settlers resided on the hills west of the Naugatuck River where the first school, church, store, and tavern were constructed. Later, the eastern hill known as Torringford was settled as it provided the best farmland for agricultural work. Torrington was given permission to organize a government and incorporate as a town in October of 1740. The fast moving waters of the Naugatuck River were utilized as waterpower for early 19th century industries. Industrial growth skyrocketed in 1813 when Frederick Wolcott constructed a woolen mill. The mill attracted a large workforce and created a demand for goods, services, and housing. Israel Coe and Erastus Hodges began the construction of two brass mills on the Naugatuck River in 1834. This event sparked the beginning of the brass industry in Torrington, which would later spread throughout the entire Naugatuck Valley. In 1849, the Naugatuck Valley railroa