What year did the old Wembley Stadium was bult,?
Wembley Stadium was a football stadium located in Wembley, London, England. First known as the Empire Stadium, the original stadium was built for the British Empire Exhibition of 1924, at a cost of £750,000, on the former site of Watkins’ Tower. Sir John Simpson and Maxwell Ayrton were the architects and Sir Owen Williams was the Head Engineer. Originally intended to be demolished at the end of the Exhibition, it was saved at the suggestion of Sir James Stevenson, a Scot who was chairman of the organising committee for the Empire Exhibition. The stadium’s distinctive Twin Towers became its trademark. Also well known were the thirty nine steps needed to be climbed to reach the Royal box and collect a trophy (and winners’/losers’ medals). Wembley was the first pitch to be referred to as “Hallowed Turf”, with many stadia around the world borrowing this phrase. The stadium’s first turf was cut by King George V and it was first opened to the public on 28 April 1923. In 1934 the Empire Pool