0
Q:

Why book "Gone With The Wind" was banned??

0
I had heard that censors slapped the movie with a fine for the swearword out of Rhett Butler's mouth - - in our era where books are slammed for political incorrect terms or unfashionability (e.g. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain), I wouldn't be surprised that Margaret Mitchell is defamed for being too Southern - - here's what is in WIKI article about the novel: "An episode in the book dealt with the early Ku Klux Klan. In the immediate aftermath of the War, Scarlett is assaulted by poor southerners living in shanties, whereupon her former black slave Big Sam saves her life. In response, Scarlett's male friends attempt to make a retaliatory nighttime raid on the encampment. Northern soldiers try to stop the attacks, and Rhett helps Ashley, who is shot, to get help through his prostitute friend Belle. Scarlett's husband Frank is killed. This raid is presented sympathetically as being necessary and justified, while the law-enforcement officers trying to catch the perpetrators are depicted ... more
malaysia.answers.yahoo.com

0
The book has a lot of characters using casual racial epithets and some characters say they treated their slaves well. This runs contrary to the dogma set out in the 1970s by author Alex Haley in his blockbuster "Roots." ALso, I found this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/99dec/… <<Even before 1938, when Selznick International identified what it called a "Negro Problem," ►black Americans had taken a strong interest in Gone With the Wind. The black press was the most consistent and perhaps the most influential of the studio's advisers on racial issues; others included black actors, national black organizations, and the movie industry's notorious Hays Office.◄ These people and institutions lacked common goals, and, as the historian Thomas Cripps has written, they rarely spoke with one voice. ►Some opposed production and release of the picture; others hailed it as a fine showcase for black actors.◄ more
malaysia.answers.yahoo.com

...