0
Q:

Why do some elderly people become SO cranky?

Answers

0
There are probably as many younger folks out there that are cranky as there are the elderly. My dad is now 85 and is a very sweet man. He is also a very sick man as well. He can't get around any more like he did even a year ago. He does good to walk from inside the house to outside to his chair. My mom on the other hand, is a very cranky woman to say the least. She is a very negative woman. She has had a stroke and was left partly paralyzed on the left side. She does get around a lot better than dad does but yet she is so cranky. I just learned to deal with it the best that I can. When she gets in her cranky mood, I talk briefly about what she is cranky about and then change the subject to something better as fast as I can, just to get her in a better mood. Even my own 24 year old daughter is cranky. Now I THINK I know why she is cranky, just not sure. But on my mom, I simple think it is because she can't do the things that she use to do and also the fact that it does take her a lot ... more
answers.yahoo.com

0
Arthritis and other medical conditions make people cranky and they don't even have to be in their 70's. People who are unhappy with life's problems upon them, lonely from a loss of spouse or friends or suffer from Depression are also cranky. more
answers.yahoo.com
0
Because every muscle and joint in their bodies hurt! This is not a funny answer. It is the truth! And not every elderly person is cranky. So, that means there are many, many elderly people in constant pain who still have the courage and fortitude to put on a brave smile. Please remember that the next time you have impatience or harsh words for our elderly citizens. more
answers.yahoo.com
0
I think most cranky old people were cranky when they were young. more
answers.yahoo.com
0
I think health problems are to blame for much crankiness in elderly people. They don't feel good and they take it out on everyone else. more
answers.yahoo.com
0
i do not think you have to be elderly to be cranky! My Brother is only 54 and boy oh boy is he Cranky..."stop Running", lower Your Voices... Walk softer!!! I Just Look at him and make those eyes, you know...where they bug out a little...say nothing, just look at him...as we are a family our selves of 6 siblings he is no stranger to all this, how he grew into this crotchety man I'll never know!!! I just laugh at him and tease him that is all you can do! I do not take him seriously even though he is! He has no kids you see... that is why! ah ha! more
answers.yahoo.com
0
I can only surmise that some in the age bracket may have some health problems that have caused them to be depressed. Also, many do not age with grace & that can cause crankiness in many. I know of a few people in their 70's who aren't as agile as they used to be & they miss being able to do the things they once used to, especially around the house. Tinkerers can no longer tinker, & that can be a real setback for them. Just try to be more understanding of your dad's moods. more
answers.yahoo.com
0
answers.yahoo.com
0
It is their life time basic nature unleashed. They have more freedom now and do not have to exercise control. It would be difficult for them to turn over a new leaf, sadly they carry baggage of past hurts/pain/disappointment. Patients is at a lower level than in prior years, if it even was present then. Seniors respond to respect and feeling needed, whether it is for physical, for advice, instruction or opinion. Having to give up favorite past times and physical recreational endeavors is difficult. Some things can still be done, but, just differently, however pride can get in the way. Accept the fact that your dad probably will not change, you will have to do the change to accept him as is. Let both parents know they are needed, appreciated and loved. Start giving hugs, many families were not raised with hugs(it is foreign) but try it anyway. In God's eyes we all have worth, seniors need to feel needed if you can provide that you are really helping their self esteem. more
answers.yahoo.com
0
Depression, chronic pain, boredom, unhappiness etc. There is always an underlying reason why people have such a personality change. Why dont you take a little time and talk with him about what you noticed. more
answers.yahoo.com

...