0
Q:

Why does a woodpecker peck wood?

rank
1
2
As the name suggests, the woodpecker is a bird that pecks at the bark of trees, searching for food (insects). The woodpecker is adept at this. Once the woodpecker spots its prey, he pecks away at the bark and drills a hole in it. Sometimes he pecks away at both sides of the trunk, creating a hollow. In America, there are nearly 25 species of woodpeckers. In Britain, woodpeckers have a red, black and white coat of feathers. In the rest of Europe, the woodpecker is green, red and yellow in colour. more
indiaparenting.com

rank
2
1
Woodpeckers look for insects that burrow into wood products. woodpecker uses its strong, pointed beak to chisel insects from the wood. Then, the long mucous-covered tongue goes into action. Using barbed or hair-like protrusions at its tip, it picks up ants and spiders. Thanks to small, delicate bones that curve around the birds' brain case and into the eye sockets, the woodpecker can extend its tongue to great lengths to snap up its insect dinner. I hope this helps to understand why woodpeckers peck wood. more
id.answers.yahoo.com
0
Not all woodpeckers are searching for bugs in the wood. The acorn woodpecker will drill holes in the wood and shove an acorn inside to eat for later. That is the most common woodpecker here in California. Another type of woodpecker will drill holes in the wood and lick up the sap as it oozes out. The reason why woodpeckers drill on metal is that they are just drawing attention to themselves. They will look for mates this way. And of course, woodies will drill out holes in wood to live in. more
id.answers.yahoo.com
3 more sources
Hide
0
They can hear insects and larva scurrying beneath the surface of the bark and peck thru for dinner. They will peck at a metal surface if they can hear what sounds like bugs in there. I get frustrated opening up a candy wrapper and the poor birds gotta peck thru tree bark. more
id.answers.yahoo.com
0
A woodpecker has a bill designed to "peck" through the bark of trees to get to the insects below. They do it to eat. Although it does sometimes seem like it is only to annoy us. more
id.answers.yahoo.com
0
They're so stupid, I've seen some peck metal poles. It's hilarious because they are so persistent. more
id.answers.yahoo.com
0
LOL I love the question.. Its so random, well... they peck wood because they can, and they want to. more
id.answers.yahoo.com

...