why then do signs danger-high voltage” rather than “danger” high current?
Answer Hello Rhea Luminario, In facilities where there is a sign “Danger – High Voltage” there is a high electrical potential difference (= a high voltage) present. If a human touches the conductors, only then can this high voltage flow through the body and thereby create a dangerous current. So the dangerous current is only created if someone touches the conductors, while the voltage was present even before. Also, high currents at low voltages remain in their conductors (wires, metal pieces, etc.) while high voltages can create sparks and thus bridge gaps across air. While air is normally a good insulator, high voltages can ionize the air and thus create a current through a human who did not touch the conductor, but merely came close enough for a spark. This is why you need to keep some distance from high voltages. I hope I could help you a bit.