How are Yellow Pages publishers reducing their carbon footprint?
Recycling is the first step. But we know there’s more we can do. In 2007, the YPA in collaboration with the Association of Directory Publishers (ADP) sat down with national environmental organizations and regional U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offices to understand how the directories industry could take its vigilance a step further. These guidelines include things like making the text in our directories safer by using soy-based ink. Thanks to great strides made by the paper industry, trees are not harvested to make directory paper. Yellow Pages publishers are able to use paper containing 40% recycled content. The other 60% comes from “residual chips,” a byproduct of sawmills left after logs are converted to lumber. Those chips become paper pulp instead of going into landfills or being burned. Publishers have also cut the amount of paper used in each book by 11 percent in the past five years, from 22.5 pounds per book to as low as 18 pounds. On top of all that, we’re also
*Sadly, we had to bring back ads too. Hopefully more targeted.