How Can Hearing Aids Help?

0

How Can Hearing Aids Help?

0

How can I find out if I need a hearing aid? Are there different styles of hearing aids? Do all hearing aids work the same way? Which hearing aid will work best for me? What questions should I ask before buying a hearing aid? How can I adjust to my hearing aid? How can I care for my hearing aid? Are new types of aids available? Can I obtain financial assistance for a hearing aid? What research is being done on hearing aids? Where can I find more information? What is a hearing aid? A hearing aid is a small electronic device that you wear in or behind your ear. It makes some sounds louder so that a person with hearing loss can listen, communicate, and participate more fully in daily activities. A hearing aid can help people hear more in both quiet and noisy situations. However, only about one out of five people who would benefit from a hearing aid actually uses one. A hearing aid has three basic parts: a microphone, amplifier, and speaker. The hearing aid receives sound through a micropho

0

Asked in Personal Health at 10:23 AM on October 28, 2008 Tags: hearing, aids, help, daughter, unable, hear, anything, details

0

It is important to be aware that hearing aids do not restore hearing back to normal. They are simply an electronic device that will help you to hear better. By giving you the opportunity to hear sounds that you have not heard for a long time, hearing aids will improve your ability to communicate, thus improving your quality of life. Hearing aids do not make things louder (or at least they should not make things louder) but rather aim to make speech clearer. With a hearing aid on you might notice some of the following: People don’t sound like they’re mumbling as much. The TV volume can be turned softer. You can hear the birds singing in the trees again. You can talk with your friends and family on the telephone easily.

0

Hearing aids serve different purposes and needs. The goal of most hearing aid fittings is to make more speech sounds available to the listener. However, simply making sounds louder does not accomplish the goal! In 2005, most hearing aids process sounds to present specific speech information (sounds) to the listener, while reducing unwanted noises and sounds. In fact, with some hearing aid technology, such as; T-coils, FM systems, Directional Mics and Noise Reduction circuits, sometimes people wearing hearing aids can actually perceive a better speech signal than people not wearing hearing aids!

0
10

Hearing aids are primarily useful in improving the hearing and speech comprehension of people who have hearing loss that results from damage to the small sensory cells in the inner ear, called hair cells. This type of hearing loss is called sensorineural hearing loss. The damage can occur as a result of disease, aging, or injury from noise or certain medicines. A hearing aid magnifies sound vibrations entering the ear. Surviving hair cells detect the larger vibrations and convert them into neural signals that are passed along to the brain. The greater the damage to a person’s hair cells, the more severe the hearing loss, and the greater the hearing aid amplification needed to make up the difference. However, there are practical limits to the amount of amplification a hearing aid can provide. In addition, if the inner ear is too damaged, even large vibrations will not be converted into neural signals. In this situation, a hearing aid would be ineffective.