How hard is it to bring my whole family to the US, and how long does the process take?

Law
0

0

Unfortunately, there’s no straight answer to this. It depends on the type of visa and which family member you’re bringing. For example, if you’re coming from another country under an employment-based visa and have a highly desired skill, you can bring your dependents, but you are only allowed to bring your spouse and unmarried children under 21. If you’re already a US citizen, it’s possible to bring other immediate family members, such as parents and siblings. Usually, sponsoring siblings takes longer, especially if they’re over 21. In addition, bringing a fiancé(e) under a K1 visa is also usually faster than bringing someone you’ve already married outside the US under a K3 visa.

Bringing someone to the US usually takes several months, if not years. Immigration laws and visa requirements also change constantly, which can affect the speed at which your petition can be approved. I suggest consulting with an immigration attorney to learn your options and know what to expect. I recommend this website for any immigration concerns.