How much were the copyright holders initially asking to clear the compositions?

0

0

What they initially quoted me was an average of $20,000 per song. There are 11 songs in the movie, so it would require $220,000, which was more than it cost to make the film. Since then, they have very generously, from their point of view, brought it down to a mere $50,000, but there are all these strings attached, so I’m not able to fully clear the songs. The problem is that because I’m giving it away for free, they might say say, “Oh, you sold those, you just sold them for zero dollars.” Whereas I would say they are promotional copies, and only a lawsuit would tell. So, it’s in their hands; they could totally sue me.