My parents (now deceased) owned property in Kentucky years ago. As their heir, how do I research the disposition of my parents’ land and mineral rights?

0

0

Obtain a copy of their wills detailing property ownership and distribution. Wills are filed in the county of residence with the County Clerk. Contact the Circuit Court Clerk to determine if a settlement was filed by the executor of the estate. Subsequent deeds and sales or leases of mineral rights are filed with the County Clerk for the county in which the land is located. We also suggest the county Property Valuation Administrator be contacted to determine who is paying taxes on the property in question. There may be a need to pay back taxes before the property is sold by the Master Commissioner. The Office of the Kentucky Secretary of State does not have any information on deeds, wills, mineral leases, or impending sales by the Master Commissioner.