Should England have granted knighthood to Salman Rushdie, given his troubled reputation in the Muslim world?

0

0

It’s been years since the Ayatollah issued a fatwa calling for the death of Salman Rushdie. Since that time, we’ve all come to learn more, probably more than we ever wanted to know about the culture of Muslim extremists. I don’t hesitate to say that what we have learned is that these people have a capacity to be intolerant, barbaric and as inhumane as any deplorable sect that has ever existed. To be sure, I am not attacking Islam or the Muslim religion. My comments are directed at those extremists who are responsible for fatwas, beheadings, bombings and so many other unbelievable acts of terrorism. Those are the people who are voicing the loudest opposition to Rushdie’s knighthood. With that in mind, I approach the subject of this debate. Why, in the name of all that is good, would any person or government EVER consider the feelings of these extremists in deciding how or upon whom to bestow honors or awards? In fairness, England should rightfully consider how Rushdie is viewed in the b