What is the history of Manley Hot Springs, Alaska?
In 1902 a prospector, John Karshner, discovered several hot springs in the area. He began a homestead and vegetable farm. In the same year, the United States Army built a telegraph station. The area became a service and supply point for miners in the Tofty and Eureka, AlaskaEureka mining districts. It was known as Baker’s Hot Springs, after nearby Baker Creek. Farming and livestock operations in the area produced fresh meat, poultry, and produce for sale. In 1907, a miner named Frank Manley built the Hot Springs Resort Hotel. The resort was a four-story building with 45 guest rooms, steam heat, electric lights, hot baths, a bar, a restaurant, a billiard room, a bowling alley, a barber shop, and an Olympic-size indoor swimming pool which used heated water from the hot springs. During the summer, the hotel’s private boat transported guests from steamers on the Tanana River. In the winter, an overland stagecoach trip from Fairbanks took two days. The town was renamed Hot Springs. The reso
*Sadly, we had to bring back ads too. Hopefully more targeted.