Why is a Social Security number needed to apply for a drivers license or state identification card?

0

0

Michigan law requires the Department of State to collect and verify Social Security numbers before issuing a driver’s license or state identification card. (Michigan Vehicle Code, 1949 PA 300, as amended by 1998 PA 330; and State Identification Card Act, 1972 PA 222, as amended by 2008 PA 31.) Social Security numbers are used for child support collection and to assist in establishing identity. What do I have to bring to a Secretary of State office to prove I have a valid Social Security number? The following documents will be accepted: • Your Social Security card. • W-2 or 1099 form. • Pay stub containing your name and Social Security number. • Valid U.S. military ID card with photo (DD-2 or CAC card). (Documents expired less than one year will also be accepted.) • If you are ineligible for a Social Security number, you must have a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration attesting to that fact. Letters that are more than 30 days old will not be accepted. All Soc