Every so often, a well-meaning Co-op customer will alert us to the information that raw cashews are toxic. While it is true that in their natural state, the cashew nut or kernel is encased in a shell that contains caustic oils, these oils are extracted from the shell and used industrially. Even “raw” cashews are processed to remove this oil, and so are safe to eat. People who are allergic to cashews cannot eat them at all, cooked or not. Cooking does not affect allergens and does not render food safe for someone with a true allergy.