Does the employer by law have to provide written notification of termination and if so, how far in advance?

FeaturedLaw
0
alan avak Posted

A friend of mine had this question:

I was called at work in a large corporation in mid-September by HR and told orally that my last day of work would be 10/30 and I would get an email with the details of the severance the following day.  I never received anything, in writing or otherwise, until a FedEx package with the terms of the severance arrived at my house on 10/30, terminating me (and my health insurance) that day.

Does the employer by law have to provide written notification of termination and if so, how far in advance?  (The company’s handbook states either party can end employment at will.)

0
Ylit

It depends on what the reason will be dismissal. If we assume you have done great harm to the company when no one expected it, then your manager should urgently have to fire you. If this is due to the planned reduction of the company’s staff, then the employee should be told about this as soon as such information appears. It all depends on the relationship between the employee and the employer.

0
saralaasheesh

Written notification is must for terminating an employee. The next question, how far in advance, is regulated by the term and conditions on which an employee joins the organisation. If no such condition is stipulated, it should be 3 months ideally.

0
Billy Morgan

I believe it varies state to state or country to country, but i believe alot of places set the standard at least two weeks.

0
gcs843

Yes they do and apparently in some will to work states they dont have to have any reason whatsoever to fire you.

0
LiLo LiLo edited answer

Hi! I need your advice. I have my own business. I want to change my permanent place of residence because I am not developing. I succeeded. Here I read that I can political asylum in US. That’s very tempting. Do you think I can do that?