0
Q:

Do wisdom teeth really need to come out, or is my dentist trying to hustle me?

1 2 3 4 5
0
I think the answer to "do wisdom teeth really need to come out" is "sometimes yes, sometimes no." But I don't think you can become one of the people who get to keep theirs out of sheer will. Basically, if your dentist is a creep, get a new dentist regardless. Try not to judge the new guy based only on whether he thinks they should come out. I still haven't decided on mine, mainly because my dentist wavers between a non-urgent "I don't like the look of those, here's a card for an oral surgeon" and "those look like they're coming in OK, don't worry about it." If I'm honest with myself, the reason I don't want mine out is that I had a gap as a kid and I don't want it to come back. more

0
My dad is a dentist, and I am still in possession at 42 of two of my wisdom teeth. His explanation to me has always been - you want to hang on to your wisdom teeth as long as you reasonably can, since having back teeth is the prerequisite for not having to have dentures later on (and dentures are awful). The logic is that you would far prefer to have a crown/bridge combo in the future and you need some back teeth to hang them off of. If you have no pain, and you can afford it, you can take a conservative approach of having the bad stuff filled or root canal-ed as necessary - but then you really need to do proper dental maintenance in the future. One additional reason some dentists recommend removal of wisdom teeth - they are just plain hard to work on, seeing as how they are very far back in your mouth. Cavities on the back side of your wisdom teeth develop because you don't reach there with your toothbrush, and your dentist has trouble reaching there too. You can find a dentist who ... more
0
Wisdom teeth out? Probably not (if they are healthy). Last winter a friend was having her daughter get her wisdom teeth removed...the dentist suggested it. At the same time, a friend who is an orthodontist was visiting, and said that if the teeth were healthy he would NOT have them out. He went on to say that in dental school, it is the dental surgeons who teach the material on wisdom teeth (removal). He said that dental surgeons make lots of money on these unnecessary removals. Conflict of interest... Flash back to the 1970's. I had a wisdom tooth (I still have all 4) that the dentist said needed to come out because it was biting the gum. The dentist pulled, and prodded and poked, but the tooth refused to budge. He took an x-ray, and there was the beautiful tooth giving the dentist the finger ("you're not going to get me out"). The dentist gave up and just cut away some of the gum flap. (I had learned an even easier remedy years earlier...gargle with hydrogen peroxide to cut down ... more
0
The dentist today took some xrays and did an examination and told me I need to have all 4 wisdom teeth out asap due to cavities and then probably a filling or root canal on one of my back molars. I won't bore you with the details but I really got the "used car salesman" vibe - scare tactics, time pressure tactics, etc. Whoa whoa--cavities are serious business and can lead to all sorts of problems, from bad breath to infections to blood clots. You've been seriously remiss in taking care of your teeth (the fact that you don't have pain doesn't mean that your oral health isn't otherwise bad--the needed root canal is an indication of this) and this can definitely impact your health generally. Sure, you can get a second opinion, but chances are you'll hear more of the same. Now my stance on wisdom teeth has always been that I wouldn't have them out - while the expense doesn't really bother me I'm not interested in the pain or the risk involved in being anesthetised. I think it's generally ... more
0
If they're in straight, and you are cleaning them effectively, they won't cause a problem - like my wisdom teeth (all 4 still present and healthy). If they come in crooked, or unnecessarily crowd your mouth, they need to come out - like my wife's wisdom teeth. If they're in straight but are rotting, pull the bastards. Odds are your dentist is opting for removal rather than drill and fill based on your previous history of wisdom tooth care. You have shown by the condition of your teeth that you are doing a poor job of keeping them clean. Filling won't fix your bad dental health habits. It's easy to brush the ones in front. Wisdom teeth are more difficult. Some of us can get at them, some can't. You don't actually need them, but you do need to listen to medical professionals when you ask them for their opinions regarding your health. They are not salesmen. They have a legal obligation to protect your health, and not surprisingly they know more about this than you do - because that's ... more
0
I was told as a teenager that I would not need to have my wisdom teeth out, so when at 21 I was told I should get them out, I was skeptical. I got a second opinion that agreed, and still ignored it for two years, until I started getting infections in the gum around the wisdom teeth that lasted for days and hurt like a mofo. They're not impacted, but slight remnants of gum over the teeth make it impossible for me to clean them properly and lead to a buildup of bacteria that I can't prevent. I'm now getting mine out in December. I mean mankind has lived with these things in their head for thousands of years before modern dentistry and health funds made it "compulsory" to have them removed possible to live longer than 30. more
0
My dentist (who I've been seeing for about 15 years) started telling me early on that I should consider getting my wisdom teeth out. He's not an oral surgeon, so unless he's getting kickbacks, he has no financial incentive. I asked him if it was an urgent problem. He explained "no, but they look like they could become a problem at some point, and it's just a lot easier on you to pull them when you're younger." In short, he said it was my call, but he also made it sound like it would be a problem at some point. I waited. About five years ago, one of them got infected. It was only slightly painful, and if I was really stubborn, I could have simply had that infection treated with antibiotics and deal with future infections the same way. I chose to get them pulled. I got them pulled under a local anesthetic. It was, as promised, unpleasant and expensive but not painful per se. The process took about 10 minutes. I can imagine that if I had a problem with wisdom teeth at an old age, it ... more
0
Well one reason we've done so well with wisdom teeth throughout history is that absent modern dental care, by the time they normally come in, i.e. in one's teens or twenties, most people have lost a few teeth, leaving sufficient room for those to come on. Wisdom teeth are actually a problem for a lot of people. Whether or not they're causing you pain right now doesn't actually tell you anything important, as cavities in those teeth can lead to serious infections. Once the cavities have worn through the enamel, the bacteria that normally live in your mouth can get into the insides of your teeth and cause serious problems. We're talking tissue death and major infections. If you want a second opinion, by all means, get one. If you don't like the dentist you went to, by all means, go to another one. But do get this looked into, because the fact that your dentist may be trying to hustle you doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't right. more
0
Thank you all for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it :)! You've convinced me that I need to take this dental work more seriously, so that I will do. I'm going to go get the x-ray prescribed, and then talk to the dentist about the options available. While I do still think he was being alarmist and pushy, I can see now why he would do so - he's used to dealing with people who get their teeth checked regularly, and here's me who hasn't seen a dentist in 18 years, he was very likely trying to scare me into action for my own sake. I do have cavities in at least 2 wisdom teeth so I'll have to see if I can have them filled and clean them better, or if they really need to come out. If they do I guess I'll just have to deal with it, better safe than sorry after reading some of your comments 0_0 I do tend to clean my teeth extremely well - twice a day with an electric toothbrush for at least 2 minutes - but obviously it's not cutting it for those back teeth. more
0
I'm 45 and all four of my wisdom teeth are sitting happily way up in my gums. They never came in, they never got impacted and since getting them out would be fairly major surgery (they're waaaay up there) I've always refused to even contemplate it. I change dentists a lot - when I was younger they kept telling me I had to get them out or I would be facing major problems but now they just say Huh, looks like they're going to stay where they are, whatever. more
1 2 3 4 5

...